BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 18, 2008

scatting? REALLY?

         While standing on the line tonight, I literally thought to myself, Not so much is going on right now, maybe I will take a night off from blogging.


          Well, first let me say that I don't usually think about blogging too much while doing my show and I don't necessarily condone letting my mind wander while on the job.  With that said, I will mention that there are a few spots in the show that it is possible for me to let my mind wander and not hinder the show...

       But truly, the aforementioned thought struck me a moment too soon.  

        Because then Zack said, Okay. Kristine.  And I was on.  The monologue went well, the beginning of the song went well, the middle of the song went well, and then the last verse hit.  I know I have mentioned this before, but I will just recap it for the purpose of this story.  Al (my husband) finishes every one of my sentences in our song.  Every one.  So tonight I sang, 

      I'm a birdie on the...

     And dear Al was supposed to sing ...wing!

    But my wonderful show husband could not, for the life of him, remember that dang word.  So what does he do?  He mimes it.  Yes, he puts his hands together and motions two wings flying through space but does not sing a word.  

    I am looking in the opposite direction at that point, so I don't see the game of charades going on; I simply hear the deafening silence.  

   And I lose it.  Lose it! I guess I caught whatever he had, because I can't remember my lyric that follows his.

    My next lines go something like this,

    doo be doo be da ba, la dee do doo dum dum...

      Yep, not one word of English in the whole mix.  Kristine is just scatting her little brains out on stage, not making sense, and (according to Clyde, who informed me of this later) waving her arms around wildly with eyes open wide in terror.  Later, my dance captain mentioned the terror in my eyes to me, as well, and he was sitting in the 6th row.  Just perfect.

     After what feels like an age and a half, I finally remember the thread of lyrics and catch up with a sentence that makes actual sense. Imagine that.  Singing a song that makes sense. What a novel idea for a musical.  

      We finish the song and I cannot believe what transpired.  Colt and I hold hands just as tight as can be, both silently commiserating with the other over the train wreck that was our song.  The audience cheers loudly and I can't tell if it's because they felt sorry for us, were impressed by my impromptu scatting, or actually thought the number was good.  

     I guess I'll never know.  

    Anyway, I had to share this gem with you.  It was awful, but hey, it happens. Especially in live theater.  I just hope it doesn't ever happen again to me.

           
  

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, Jess! Did you feel like you were outside yourself, watching it all happen, like you were in a bad dream?! I can believe that you had a look of terror on your face, I probably would have, if it were me!

Jessica said...

Yeah, to be honest, I kind of did--like it was an out of body experience, or something.

And the thing that makes me really mad is that I know my lyrics, with or without Colt singing his!

But I guess there was just something in the air...No use crying over spilled milk, right?

Anonymous said...

Honestly . . . I heard you tell my this story on the phone, but I still LOLed the whole time I was reading it. Way to go, babe!

merry said...

I LOLed the whole time too.

erin said...

A gem indeed!!!!! Jess...what I wouldn't give to see that performance! You just about made me poop my pants! I have to give mad props to to Colt... being a fellow mime and all! ;) And scatting? I bet you sounded really good and most people didn't know the difference! I just love you so much Jess!

Jessica said...

hahahaha, Erin! "being a fellow mime and all"--LOL!!!!

Yes, I am sure you would have thoroughly enjoyed my performance; I know all my friends on the line certainly did!

Anonymous said...

oh, my, Jess! You know I would have been just as terrified if I had been in the audience! I would have been praying, praying, praying for you, hoping you would find your lyrics! Wow! But, at least all that happened actually fits your character. It would be a lot worse playing Joan of Ark and being terrified.

Anonymous said...

Wow...staring into the abyss indeed. Blankness, no memory, and that crushing couple of moments in time where you know the entire universe is waiting on... you...aaaggghhh! But, you know, to do what you did (incredibly clever by the way) was very Kistine-like. My guess is that the audience felt that was a wonderful piece of dialogue, so perfectly in character for nervous Nellie Kristine. Still...terrifying indeed--but memorable! And of course hilarious of all of us. Thanks for entertaining!

Lady Leth said...

I laughed so hard that I cried...that is hilarious!!! I mean, probably terrifying in the moment, but funny now!

Jessica said...

yes, it is very funny now--a bunch of us went to dinner last night and were just cracking up, rehashing the whole thing...

And pop, I am betting the audience knew something was up. I had been speaking very clear english up to that point, and suddenly wasn't--plus there was the whole issue of the the terror in my eyes that they were seeing...

I'm betting the audience isn't that dumb;-) but thanks for the kind words anyway!