BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, October 24, 2008

the day I met Josh from the West Wing


           There he is, folks.  Bradley Whitford, aka Josh from the West Wing.  And let me just admit this now, I have a bit of a crush on him. Sigh.  And I met him!!!


           Okay, so this didn't exactly happen yesterday, per se, but the point is it happened. 

            To me.

           About six months ago, in New York City, that land of opportunity and sweet, sweet happenstance.  

           But first, let me give you a little history.  While doing the national tour of the Will Rogers Follies, a small group of us became hooked on just a little show that changes lives called The West Wing. At some point during the day or even during a show one of us would give each other the sign--a W made with our fingers and flashed twice, nice and quick--and it would be on.  

           Me, Zaller, and Betsy would watch The West Wing after the show.  

           And my crush on Josh would grow.  Sigh again.

            Fast forward to me rehearsing ACL at the New 42nd Street studios on well, 42nd street.  We are on our lunch break and I run down to Pax, the restaurant that is right next door and conveniently offers us a discount.  I stroll in just like any other day, prepared to order my usual salad and I stop dead in my tracks with that salad completely forgotten.

            Because Josh from The West Wing is standing in line, about to buy his food.  Like he's a normal person, like he's not the most amazing advisor that has ever worked in the White House.  

          I just stand there and stare at him for a while, making sure that it is indeed him.  But there it is, the facts of his close proximity right in front of me--same height, same build, same receding hairline yet wonderfully fluffy hair and intelligent face...Wow, it's really really him!

          Now he's walking towards the door and he's about to walk out of my life--probably forever--unless I do something.  So I stop him as he gets to the door with a question,

           Excuse me, but you're Josh from the West Wing (in case he didn't know...), and well, I just love you...(okay, so maybe that wasn't a question, exactly...)...

          Josh simply says, Yes, I am.  Hi, my name is Brad.  And then proceeds to shake my hand(!).

          I am mentally kicking myself while calmly shaking his hand because of course I know his name is Brad!!! Unfortunately any ideas I have for our conversation trailed off after my admittance of love for him, because see, I really hadn't planned anything else to say. At all.  But I wasn't going anywhere...  

         Noticing this, he kindly takes the reigns of conversation from my star-struck hands and, probably noticing my jazz pants and sweatshirt, asks, So, are you a dancer? 

       Grabbing onto that thread that will perpetuate our verbal back-and-forth like a lifeline for a drowning man, I excitedly say, Yes! Yes, I am a dancer! I am rehearsing for the 1st national tour of A Chorus Line at New 42nd Street!

        I am rehearsing there too, for a new play, he tells me. Like it's totally normal that we are rehearsing at the same place!!! 

         That's so cool, I say, Well, I just wanted you to know that I love your work, and well, I love you...

         Thank you so much, He kindly responds, I appreciate that. 

          We smile and he walks out the door, lunch in hand.  So yes, I did meet Bradley Whitford (but well, I just call him Brad cause you know, we're like that now) and I did tell him that I love him. Twice.  

          After he walks out the door I refrain from pinching myself to make sure that the exchange did in fact occur while the lady sitting at a nearby table turns to me in a conspiratorial manner and says, I absolutely LOVE him too; I just didn't have the balls to go up and talk to him like you did!
 
           We share a look and both bask in the glow of being in the same room with Josh from The West Wing.  But my glow is a little brighter, see, because I actually got to talk to him.

           And that is the account of the day I met Josh from The West Wing. 

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

...he's not exactly a hearth throb, you know.

and the one show of the west wing that I ever saw was about maps and it was really boring.

(i know this comment will really annoy you!)

Dick Ronkulous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dick Ronkulous said...

Hater.

peaj said...

Donna and I love the West Wing. Seriously. We've snagged copies of the DVDs from the library to work our way through different seasons that we've already seen. Most of the series' episodes bear multiple views. And Bradley Whitford did such a great job as Josh.

But... you know, Josh (the character) isn't really very woman-friendly. He's a bit of a misogynist. He did get his comeuppance many times, but his arrogance remained. So I guess I'm a little surprised by the crush.

Oh, and Jason - if you are talking about the episode 'Somebody's going to emergency, somebody's going to jail' with the Organization of Cartographers for Social Equality in it - I thought the bit with the map was great.

peaj said...

By the way, Jess, it's great you got to meet him. That's definitely very exciting. I don't have a crush on him but I would probably babble incoherently if I ever met him. I think that it is wonderful that he was so gracious to you when he could have rolled his eyes and been like "great, another fan."

I imagine that someday you two will run into each other again and he will know exactly who you are because of your great fame. But I can't imagine him babbling - he'd be too cool.

Anonymous said...

You're so funny, Jess! I wish I could have been right there to see you babble away at Mr. Whitford (that's what I call him, 'cause we're like that)! I liked West Wing a lot when it was on, and I liked Bradley Whitford's character, too. Although, I do agree at least a little bit with peaj. My favorite episodes were the one where the president (I have always loved Martin Sheen) and Josh get shot and when Mark Harmon was on (I thought the map bit was funny, too, peaj).

When I see a celebrity, I will just treat him/her like a normal person, not gush all over them (they put their pants on one leg at a time, too, after all)...wait...omg, am I actually writing on Jessica Latshaw's blog??!! The famous dancer, omg, I just LOVE her!!

Jessica said...

Jase--very true on your analysis of the effect of your comment. The thing is that I know Josh is not exactly a hearth throb, but I just love the character Josh SO MUCH--he's so smart and funny. And one more thing: there are many people I respect greatly who love the West Wing.

Jessica said...

Peaj--I am aware (sadly) that Josh is not real--though I wish those people were in the white house, to be honest. And yes, he is arrogant, but also so intelligent and witty! And the truth is that I am in love with my husband;-) but how cool that you and Donna love the WW--when I got home, Drew and went through and watched it together.

Kathie--the funny thing is that I am not usually star-struck, either. In fact, I generally do not go up to strangers to talk to them, esp. if they are stars cause I figure they just want to be able to buy lunch in peace, but Brad Whitford is a different story--I love his character so much that I just HAD to say something!

Jessica said...

p.s. I find it very odd that there is a comment that has been removed on this post and i had nothing to do with it...

anyone want to admit something?

Anonymous said...

Actually, Jess, I was just messing with you. I have no idea how I will react when I see a celebrity (I would hope I would give them their space, though, but if it was someone I really admire...), never having seen one before...except, YOU, of course!! ;-)

peaj said...

Oh my gosh Oh my gosh! I just realized that JASON posted on your blog! I just LOVE his writing! ;-)

Jessica said...

I don't blame you a bit-his writing is amazing and he's gonna be famous soon;-)

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Jase....I feel the same way about Josh (Brad) AND I love the West Wing but your Pop feels the same way you do about it.

And Jess....how can a post be deleted by the author? Mystery.

peaj said...

people with google/blogger accounts can delete their own posts.

erin said...

Ha! That is hilarious!!! Someone needs to follow you with a camera to record these events. I just caught up on a bunch of your blogs and what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall for these things!

Sue C said...

I too met Bradley Whitford when I travelled to New York in June to see him in the play Boeing-Boeing, which is presumably what he was rehearsing when you met him, Jessica. My sister and I waited outside the stage door - we were at the end of a very long line of people behind a barrier. When he finally got to us he asked how I was and if I'd enjoyed the play. After he'd signed my theatre programme I asked if I could have a photograph, to which he replied "Sure, let's do it!" He came behind the barrier and because I'ma wheelchair user he knelt down next to me. I managed to say "I love your work" (how original!), then he put his arm round me and kissed my cheek. After I'd thanked him for the photograph he squeezed my shoulder and said "No problem, sweetie". I don't mind saying I've had a huge crush on him ever since I started watching The West Wing. He was absolutely lovely and just as charming as I'd heard people say he was.

Jessica said...

Sue--so glad that he was such a gentleman with you--and not at all surprised!

That's our Josh!!!;-)

Anonymous said...

So - I wanted to check out you blog on Cleveland - but then I saw this - I, too, had an 'experience' with Mr. Whitford whilst at the 42nd St Studios...I will have to share it with you some time as the story is best told with exaggerated hand movements and facial expressions.

Jessica said...

deana marie--cannot WAIT to see those exaggerated hand movements!!!!