BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 15, 2009

Columbus gig

Last night was so much fun.


Exhausting, true, but a blast.

It started with an early matinee, then rehearsing between shows with Drew and Clyde, another show in which it was very difficult to stay present and I may or may not have been reciting lyrics in my head while standing frozen on stage during What I Did for Love, and finally playing a full set.

Clyde played first (with Drew on the djembe) and they sounded so great.

The thing is, we had no idea if any people would even come. I mean, we were hoping the cast at least would show up (and they did!), but considering when we went this past Wednesday and I played a little impromptu concert to about five people, we just didn't know.

The nice thing is that the place was hopping.

And even if the cast hadn't shown up, the bar still would have been full.

The grand piano I got to play was beautiful.
And it was just as lovely to lean on, as well.
It's weird, when I play my music I don't really feel nervous. Just super excited to share.
Drew, myself, and Clyde apparently all got the memo that white shirts and jeans was the uniform of choice. We couldn't help but laugh when we showed up in different variations of the exact same thing.

But I was the only one in high tops.
Maybe my favorite moment of the night was the last song. Drew played the guitar and lent his voice for the chorus. It's a special song because I wrote it on a bus, in a moment when I let myself feel a little overwhelmed by experiencing so much newness and beauty alone.

Without him.

And telling him about it just isn't the same.

Anyway, my friend Mindy talks about our First Wives' Club here on tour---those of us who are missing our husbands. She asked me to write a song about that, to which I replied that I have.

So I dedicated it to them.

To us.
It was really special getting to sing it together, in this atmosphere.

I've been all over this land--
Seen the malls of middle America and the red desert sand;
I've seen crosses top the mountains, top the stone cathedrals too,
Oh I wish that I had seen it all with you...

And it's true.

Anyway, it was a beautiful evening.

*pictures taken by Julie Kotarides

11 comments:

Jenna Latshaw said...

i'm so glad it went well! wish i could have been there!

Jessica said...

wish you had been there too!!!!

Next time.

kathiek said...

Glad you had such a great time, Jess!

Nina said...

Sounds like a wonderful night. Love those lyrics! I want to read more...

Mom said...

I'd like to hear the song when we see you & Drew!

Glad it all went well!

Emily said...

that's fantastic Jess! and you look really lovely in all the photos. Columbus is a nice town, we considered moving there right before I got pregnant with the twins, but then I couldn't leave our families...

Unknown said...

Sorry I missed it, I had promised Bryan to hang out, before I knew about the concert. I'm sure you will be doing another one, before we close...

AJR said...

Sorry I didn't make it, but I know you you guys are all fantastic!

Oh and I've always wondered how djembe was spelled. Thanks!

~Alex

Karenkool said...

What? No video clip?? I'm glad it went awesomely well. The piano is suhweet.

Collin and Lindsay: said...

First of all, way to own the uniform with some high tops. Secondly, it's evident that you love to share your music when you perform. Actually, I remember seeing you dance for the first time (a Nutcracker performance a long time ago!) and I remember thinking that your face was radiant. The joy that you felt was so tangible. I think that is a gift that you find joy in sharing the art inside of you.

Jessica said...

Karen--I know! I'm sorry about that--but I do have an audio clip--not sure how to post it here, though;-)

Linsday--thanks so much--you've always been so kind and encouraging to me and I appreciate you so much!!!