BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

procastination vs. git her done!

       I am not a procrastinator. Back when I was home schooled, my mom would write out my lesson plans at the beginning of each week so I would know all the work I would have to complete before Friday. Sometimes I would do all five math lessons on Monday just so I could have that math-free feeling for the rest of the week.


      I have always loved just getting the distasteful things over with. If something needs doing, do it now so that you don't have to think about it. So it's not hanging over your head. So you can read your favorite book for as long as you want...After you get out of the way whatever it is that would prevent you from reading.

     That has always been my plan.
 
      Which is why working at night isn't my favorite thing. For a person like me, I have to deal with having work hanging over my head all day long. I see my life in diminishing hours--okay, five hours till I have to go to work, now three, now one...I'd much rather just wake up and get it over with. I'd much rather do a matinee and then have the evening off. And do you know how rarely we have just a matinee and the evening off? Hardly ever. 

    I have really had to learn how to let go of the weight of having a task before me that I simply cannot do until later. Like working. If it were up to me and was possible, I would probably do 8 shows on Monday and then have the rest of the week off.   But I can't do that, so I have to just relax and realize that just cause I have to work later does not mean I can't enjoy now. 

  And the strange thing is that I do love my job, even though I usually have to do it at night. I just wish that I could do it earlier and then enjoy an evening off, rather than the other way around. 

  How bout you guys? Are you in the I would rather relax now and work later camp or the I would rather work now so I can relax later camp?  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow....I was just thinking about the same thing. I am so happy in the morning and afternoon and have a lot more energy and would rather do all my work right away. Night time appointments or meetings I just dread--even if I really, really love the person or I really love the meeting. It's because it's at night. There's something deep inside me that says that when it gets dark, it is time to wind down and sleep at some point. God usually gives me grace, though, to do the things I don't want to do.

christine said...

I'm unfortunately in the procrastination camp and have to work hard to get the work done that I need to when I have the time instead of waiting. I wish I loved to just get things done right away because that would be easier and work better in my life : ) This post though has inspired me this morning to dig into all the things I need to do today right away. So thanks Jess! Enjoy your day before work : )

Joe said...

I would rather work now so I can relax later. This has always been a problem for me actually. I have really needed to learn how to balance things. What I found was that I would never take any sort of break but my workload would just increase so I was always working. I would try and finish my work, but new tasks would always come up. So I would get frustrated and feel overworked, instead of just taking time between tasks.

peaj said...

Relax now, and relax later.

If you have to work, then relax first, then work hard to set up something automated so that you don't have to work so hard in the future. Then relax.

Anonymous said...

I am the queen of procrastination (self-proclaimed, but I am sure my husband would agree)! In fact, I actually could have commented on this post before work this morning, when I first read it, but I decided to wait until later. It is a sickness. ;-)

Anonymous said...

I like the idea of relaxing now AND later, Peaj:) I think part of the reason I stay up so late at night is I like to give myself time to wind down and relax after work. And since I don't get home till around 11 or later...well, then I like the feeling of work being over so the later I stay up the more I get to enjoy it.

Nina said...

Work now, relax later. This doesn't mean I'm not a procrastinator...I am. I just put off working on the things I truly despise or dread by doing other work.

Unfortunately, I find it hard to enjoy relaxing when I have work to do, which makes life a little stressful when there's always work to get done. Peaj's idea is definitely the best one yet.

joshsetsfire said...

i am gonna do a long comment later....