BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, July 11, 2008

what a place to call home

        Well, today I booked a one-way flight bound for good old Philly.  Uh-huh, how amazing is that?  I get to come home on September 7th and will be there until I have to go to Boston on the 11th.  We have a few unexpected days off and there's no other place I would rather be than home sweet home.  


        Lately, I have been feeling homesick.  I have never been great with transitions, and after being in L.A. for almost two months--with family close by--San Francisco is a little bit of a shock.  Just ask Drew if you don't believe me, but I am pretty much a creature of habit.  There are things I do everyday and I find comfort in the ritual of it.  In L.A., I had my rhythm.  I knew where I was going, what I was doing, and I spent every Sunday and Monday with Jase--and Darb, Ollie, and Lyric, when they were in town (which was so very very fun!). Plus, I had a piano in my house...So, I am giving myself time to get adjusted before I make any judgements on this city, but still--it's different.  

       So, here are some things I miss about home:


  •         My house and the things/people that you find in it.  Of course, the first person that comes to mind is Drew.  I love living in the same house with him.  Knowing that, even if he isn't here right now, he will walk through the front door very soon, makes both me and our kitties very happy.  I love when we curl up together and eat ice cream and pretzels and watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer (don't judge, now).  Or when we lay in our bed (Tally and Percy are usually laying on Drew) and just talk; we love to play the what-do-you-see-us-doing-in-five-years game, to dream together and just try to imagine how good tomorrow will be. Together.  Another part of my house that I love is my piano.  Really, it's therapy, an artistic outlet, a challenge, and a piece of me all at once.  I miss it so much.  I also miss listening to Drew play, or singing while he plays.  Oh, and of course another fixture of my house that I miss dearly are my two kitties, Taliesin (Tally) and Persephone (Percy).  One is very big and all stripes and orange and thick fur, while the other is very tiny and blue-black as a starless night with a coat that is very sleek but not so thick.  They are litter-mates, which is a fancy way of saying brother and sister (you're impressed that I knew that, admit it).  But more than that, they are a part of my little family.  It's funny, sometimes when my mom comes over, she greets them as her grand-kitties (it's okay Jenna, you can roll your eyes)!

  • My family/friends.  I miss dinners at Jonathan and Rebekah's house.  Honestly, the food is always delicious (Whenever my pop eats there, he almost never leaves without saying to my brother, Jonathan, I don't know how you aren't 300 lbs with cooking this good! And it's kinda true...).  And I love being there with Drew, because he always makes the kids--and us--laugh.  Once, during an amazing lightening storm, Drew ran out onto the lawn at our insistence and executed a show-stopping shimmy while we were all gasping for air between stifling laughter.  Hilarious.  I miss spending time with my brother, Josh.  He is almost always up for an outing, being the social butterfly that he is, and never fails to make me and Drew laugh.  I miss seeing Sunshine at the dance studio and taking her classes.  Her choreography is beautiful--and I love getting to experience that (as well as laughing or rolling our eyes over the latest shenanigans that either students or their parents have recently pulled).  I miss going over to my parents' house so easily.  That will always be a home to me, always.  And I will never doubt how genuinely glad they are to have us over for dinner (and believe me, it has been so helpful, at times--especially when we had neither money nor food...sad, but true).  I miss running with Jenna.  And all of our talks and our laughter and our listening to good music.  She is such a fun and great sister.  She is invaluable.  I miss playing nertz with both Jenna and Laura--they were always better than me, but at least pretended to be challenged by me (and they must be tons better by now...shoot).  I miss FINALLY living close to Christine! What, did we get to enjoy that for about a minute? It had been five years that she was out living the cowgirl's dream in Idaho and I was on the east coast when she and Josh finally came back. And now, this.  Ironic.  At least we have the phone thing down! I miss my annual get-togethers with Erin.  Lately, we'd been hanging out in the bad town of Media, PA.  Yep, just a couple of ne'er do wells in a dangerous land.  All I can say is Media has never been the same since.  I miss glimpsing Elizabeth in church on Sunday--the special times that would come every once in a while when we actually got to talk, really talk.  About life and how hard or how good it was at the moment.  I miss, I miss, I miss...
 
  • My Church. Yeah, I truly miss my church.  Really, we have a special thing going on in those woods in Landenberg.  God has put together something else, to say the least.  I miss playing and singing with Gate Called Beautiful.  Jonathan, Christian, Jacob, Bill (I know he isn't technically part of the group right now, but hey--neither am I, I guess!), Ian, Drew--those guys love God and make some pretty GREAT music because of it.  They also have practiced their craft and are committed to excellence. I have been grateful to be a part of it.  I hope I will be again.  I miss being actively involved in a community that is following God with everything they have, that won't blink or stop for fear that they will find themselves far away from Him.  I miss seeing all my little nieces and nephews looking all freshly scrubbed and pretty, bright enough to match any new day that you throw at them.  
   
    And those are just a few of the things I miss from home.  But really, with a home like that, what girl wouldn't be missing it?!?!

                   
        

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew you'd miss me! I can believe it would be lonely, and you had actually been here in LA for quite a while too. Fortunately it's not too much longer until Drew visits you and then it won't be long at all until you're back home for a while. Seems like SF is a stinky town so far, reviews and performances and all... I'm sure it'll look up though.

Don't forget all the great places Doc told you about! (I totally forgot them already.)

Anonymous said...

I know you are homesick, but take it from me, September will be here before you know it. As a teacher, I can personally vouch for how quickly September rolls around each year! Meanwhile, Jess, you are in San Francisco! You get to ride trolleys and eat Rice-a-Roni! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is so true. The time between June and September flies by.

Jessica said...

I know--San Francisco is pretty cool! Now, if only I could remember all those things that Doc told me to do...:-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jess....these are the times that I wish it was possible to click my shoes and be in San Francisco instantly. I miss you so much and am so excited about you coming home Sept 7!

Hey, you got at least one excellent review in San Fran....said your cast was better than any including NYC!

Love you a lot!

Jenna Latshaw said...

i miss you so much! you need to come back so we can play nerts until 3 in the morning!

Anonymous said...

I hate nertz.

Lady Leth said...

Home really is like no other place! I think you forget sometimes. When you are away from it, it becomes all the more sweeter. But you can do it-and you will be home before long!

NNA said...

Hi, I found your blog post through a search for "Nertz". It is cool to see others that know about the game. I hope you don't mind but I wanted to let you know about playnertz.com, the site for the National Nertz Association. There is a bunch of interesting Nertz information there and you can also find out how to play Nertz online there. I hope you will check it out. Feel free to join and also let your friends and family know. Thanks

Jessica said...

why, thank you, nertzfan, that was very enlightening. I, too, thoroughly enjoy the game:-)