BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 24, 2008

sorry, no puppy pics today...

   
    Well, it seems the Latshaw curse of dry skin has bested me once again in the form of a split on the bottom of my foot.  If any of you have ever had your skin just crack for no apparent reason, than you know how painful it can be.  Not stop-your-life-so-you-can-heal-painful, mind you, but just enough-to-make-every-step-and-especially-if-it-happens-to-be-a-dance-step-painful.  Another thing about having a split on the bottom of your foot, is that it really doesn't look that bad.  I mean, you show people and they are like, Huh. But, it hurts like the dickens.  Some fellow dancers have taken super-glue and just glued the darn thing shut, which sounds like a pretty good idea.  But, I don't even have a band-aid, so you can be pretty sure that I don't have super glue.  I'm an artist, people; I'm not McGuyver.  

    Anyway, I may or may not have booked a show in Vietnam today.  See, I don't have direct access to a piano here in San Francisco, so I've been hauling it over to Guitar Center and just living in the piano section, practicing my heart out and trying for the life of me to block out all the, ah, generous noises around me.  So, I was in the electric piano section today, trying to do my own thing, while this man was laying down some funky beats on a keyboard directly behind me.  I tried in vain to keep playing my music, but he was just too darn loud.  Well, if you can't beat them, join them, right?  So, I just started playing along--finding the key and improvising along the way.  This lasted a little bit before I decided to try the contemporary keyboard section in hopes for a little more privacy and a little less funky beats.  I found a keyboard that looked good and got to it.  Before too long, funky beat man was standing right next to me, very obviously staring over my shoulder while I played.  What did I do, you may ask?  Only proceed to play the most impressive of my repertory...But, after a while, it got kind of annoying because he just wouldn't go away.  So finally I was like, Hi...And he started telling me that he really liked the way I played, etc, etc.

   Well, it turns out this guy (his name is Kannan) is a singer-songwriter in Vietnam.  He asked for my info (I gave him my email and myspace stuff) because he wants me to play with him.  In Vietnam.  I guess you really never know who you will meet.  And who knows if it's for real, but still--it's certainly interesting.  Oh, and if you've never been to a guitar center--you really should go.  The place is this amazing mecca of creativity and timelessness.  At least, when I go there I feel like making music and I never have any idea where all the time has gone when I finally leave.  

   Tomorrow, I am getting up early--9 am (I know Jonathan, you think that is hilarious that I call that early--but it is for me!).  I have convinced my friend, Gabby, to take a modern class with me in the morning.  Hopefully the split on my foot won't interfere too much... 
    

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put Vicks vapor rub on your feet before bed and then put your socks on afterwards. It will keep your feet from cracking. I know it sounds gross, but it really does work.

Anonymous said...

SO painful! Like walking on little daggers all the time.

THANKS MOM AND POP FOR THOSE DELIGHTFUL LITTLE GENES!

Strangely enough, I haven't gotten them since last summer. No idea why.

Jessica said...

Nope--doesn't sound gross, anonymous--and good idea!

Unfortunately, it hurts even worse today...so, though, I did get up, I didn't go to class because my foot hurts to just walk...:-(

Anonymous said...

Hey, you need to blame Pop for the cracking skin syndrome! I'm italian---we have LOTS of OIL in our skin. I guess it's those Normandy ancestors that must have had cracked skin.