BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

at the stage door



    A little old lady from Hungary approached me outside of the stage door after the show tonight.  She said that she had seen the show in New York and that we were better.  She said that we sparkled, shone, bedazzled her, danced so amazingly, didn't just act, but were the characters on stage, touched her, moved her, and showed our humanity (we were going for alien, but oh well).  In short, she said a lot.  I also found out that she was a dancer, is past 80 and still takes ballet class, and has had two knee replacements.  Have I mentioned that she said a lot?  

   It's funny, being in a show where thousands of people have just watched you for two hours on a stage makes those people feel like they know me afterwards.  They walk up to me with a familiarity in their eyes and manner, as if they are just finishing a conversation that we started a little while back.  It's strange, though--because the relationship isn't reciprocal.  I don't know who they are; most of the time, I have never seen them before.  Usually they are very kind, and so I don't mind it at all.  And honestly, it amazes me how this show touches people.  A while back, I had another stage door experience that I will never forget.

  A middle-aged woman came up to me.  She was alone and had a serious and intelligent look to her.  She told me that she enjoyed the show very much, and I said my usual thank you--and that I so appreciated her coming out to see it.  But, she obviously wasn't finished talking, because she just kind of stood there looking at me.  Never one to prolong an already awkward moment with silence, I started in on how close to my heart this show is, because I am a dancer and because of my own dreams I have cherished...She stopped me though-actually interrupted me- to very adamantly say, No. This show is not just for dancers.  This show is for people, everywhere.  It reminds us that we are unique, each one of us; that we have something to offer to this world.  I walked out of this show feeling truly special.  I know that I am special.

  Well, wow.  It was at once humbling and inspiring.  If I can do that, remind people that they are truly special in a world where it is all too easy to feel passed-over and forgotten, then I am grateful.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what she said was inspirational and all, but she didn't have to be so rude when she said it. You should have interrupted her back, gotten louder, and said, "NO! It IS just for dancers, it's ABOUT DANCERS, and it doesn't APPLY to ANYTHING ELSE, and then slammed the stage door right in her face."

joshsetsfire said...

it is a CHORUS LINE old lady! not An Old LAdy! Stupid woman!

Jessica said...

haha-what if I was doing a show called, An Old Lady--that would be weird...

Jase--she was really intense--you wouldn't have been able to argue with her, either!

Anonymous said...

I would have put a Ferocious Water Bug in her shoe.

Jessica said...

well, actually--that would require you touching a Ferocious Water Bug...And if I remember correctly, you were pretty scared when he merely swam in your general direction...I think the lady is safe.