BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, July 7, 2008

I haven't drawn colored dots since...

     Ooooh, I just discovered I can use different colors as I write.  Wow. This could be fun...Or annoying...


    Actually, that brought back a memory (uh-oh, you think, not another memory! It's funny; I have received many compliments on my memory since starting this blog--I don't know what that says about me, but thanks for the props, guys!).  Right, so back to the memory. I was in 2nd grade.  We had some sort of art time where we got to just draw whatever we wanted; you know, go crazy in a seven-year-old's kind of way.  Well, I had a bunch of markers at my disposal, so many vibrant colors to choose from, when the thought struck me like an epiphany, Why choose just one color?  So, I grabbed as many markers as my hands would hold, un-capped all of them, and started dotting ferociously.  It was wonderful, the blank paper was slowly turning into a kaleidoscope of bright, happy spots.  And all the while I was anticipating giving the finished product as a gift to my teacher.  I was happily thinking, Mrs. Dosa is just gonna love this when I give it to her, I can't wait!

   And just as my masterpiece was almost finished, Mrs. Dosa happened to glance down at my desk.  I couldn't help but hear her say, It looks like a rainbow exploded all over the page...Well, I knew rainbows were good, but explosions were generally bad.  And the explosion of a rainbow sounded especially bad, especially messy.  So, when I heard her say that, my heart sank.  I was embarrassed, really embarrassed that I drew something so stupid.  It was especially disappointing because it now stood out to me as something so very opposite to the great idea I had seen it as just five minutes before.  Needless to say, I did not end up giving my artwork as a gift to Mrs. Dosa; I quietly threw it away.  

  Today I went to a service at Mosaic, a church in downtown Los Angeles.  The pastor, Erwin MacMannus (if you want the proper spelling of his name, you can go to Jason's site at thelookmachine.com
), encouraged us to love other people.  Simple enough, right?  But, what really stood out to me as something that I may have forgotten somewhere along the way is how I need to be actively trying to bring out the best in other people.  To encourage them, listen to them, care about them, be kind to them...I know Mrs. Dosa wasn't trying to discourage me, but she certainly wasn't encouraging me, either.  I guess I want to try to be a positive force in the lives of the people around me.  And I have plenty of people to practice this on, God has certainly made sure of that.  

  So, here's to a new goal that I hope I will remember tomorrow. And the next day.
  


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Help them worship. That's a positive influence.

Anonymous said...

In my (not always consistent) efforts to love others with the love of God, I also try to think the best about them. In light of that, maybe Mrs. Dosa was trying to say something good. I think an exploding rainbow would be cool...like an explosion of color...you could have color everywhere, instead of just one place! Still, I try to be very careful when I comment on my students' creative efforts. My favorite things to say (especially when I am not sure what I am seeing) are: "What would you like to tell me about your picture?", and "It's so colorful!"

Anonymous said...

I also don't think that an exploding rainbow might have been meant the way you took it. But you know, some people go through life hurting other people without realizing it, and maybe I'm one of them.

Anonymous said...

well, actually--the tone of her voice was sarcastic, not positive--but, maybe you're right...

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I would never be sarcastic with a student! I loved each and every one of you, and "rainbow explosion" was the highest compliment I could pay someone.