BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 22, 2008

Peak's Island, Maine

   Today, Drew and I drove all the way up to Maine, the state that is at the top of our country (ahem, ahem, that's right--that's yours truly, spouting off geography like it ain't no thing at all), and ended up in Portland.  From there, we took the ferry over to Peak's Island, a place that looks exactly how you would think a coastal island off of Maine should look.  Rocky shores, lighthouses peering over the precipice, rich green lawns, and plenty of fishermen...and other hardy types. 
 
It's beautiful.   

We rented bikes from a bike shop that, I kid you not, had a simple honor system to go with it's unlocked gate and varying bikes scattered across the yard.  We just stuck some money in a box, grabbed two bikes, and were off.  I got this lovely little green number that came with a grandmotherly basket, and I rocked it:
Our first stop was a shore, where Drew managed to figure out the timer on our camera:
Then we found a murder hole.  Yep, you read that right.  Don't worry, we didn't actually murder anybody in it; it's a little hide-out that was built on coasts during WWII so that our army could have a safe place to sit while scanning the shore for U-boats.  Awesome, right?  Well, I looked and looked, but found nothing that resembled enemy boats off the Maine shore, so we can all sleep well tonight.
  Then, we went off the trail a little...en route to this: 
It's called Battery Steele, where the US used to store our munitions during WWII. And yeah, we read this sign, but took it in stride as we forged ahead...
...into, quite literally, the darkest place I have ever been.  My eyes hurt because they were trying so hard to find some light in a place the was void of it entirely.  The only reason you can see any of this at all was because my camera has a flash.  It was truly spooky.  All along the sides of the hall there were these doorways that led into abandoned rooms and of course Drew insisted we actually go into one.  Then, to lighten the mood, he suggested we sing, of all things!  So, we practiced our version of happy birthday, the song we were planning to sing to my friend Betsy, since today is her birthday.  It was eerie in the darkness, though, I can tell you that.
Finally we got to rock beach, where people try to build the most fantastic sculptures by balancing rocks, and then see how long they last against the elements.
I think Drew's lasted about five minutes, as impressive as it was...

It was a lovely day off.  Oh, and you can't see so well from these pics, but I happened to wear my "busy" lucky-t, some jeans that are on the skinnier side (though not my skinniest), and some high tops.  And I didn't ask a soul for their opinion on my outfit.  Though honestly, while I was on Peak's Island I got the impression that the inhabitants couldn't have cared less what I looked like.  Everybody was just too busy enjoying the day.  Which was as it should be.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying "couldn't have cared less" instead of "could have cared less."

The place sounds like a ton of fun!

Jenna Latshaw said...

it looks like you guys had such a great time!

Anonymous said...

Really glad you both got away together. I've added another possible career for you: travel log author. Enjoyed the description of the island.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you had such a great time with Drew! It looks and sounds like a beautiful place to visit.

BTW, the person who said your T-shirt is "busy" needs an eye examination. You cannot apply that word to a shirt that does not (at the very least) have an all-over print (and even an all-over print is not necessarily "busy")! From what I can see in your picture, your shirt does not qualify as an all-over print. Of course, it is entirely possible that I need an eye examination...

christine said...

That's great you guys got to have such a great day together! That creepy dark place reminded me of something off of LOST...too bad there weren't any of the "Others" there : )

Anonymous said...

I just need to point out that yesterday, on MY day off, I took the ferry over to TORONTO Island, and also went biking around the island and along the shore....stopping to climb a jungle gym. Are we connected in some parallel Spam/Chorus Line universe???

Jessica said...

Bree--I think we must be...what a coincidence!
Christine--it DOES look like something from Lost; I am glad that didn't occur to me while I was actually there!
Kathie--you're right, the shirt really isn't very busy at all...
Mom-maybe someday! and drew and kept saying how you and pop would love that island...
Jase--there is a very big different between those two statements and the world would be a clearer place if people would realize that.
Jenna--you were spot-on with your assessment!

Peaj said...

From your description of the high tops earlier I was kinda like "urg, they sound, um, different," but now I can see from the pictures that they are rather pleasant and gentle on the eye. And if you actually went all those places in Maine, I think that it is safe to say that the high tops were busy, and that the person who criticized your shirt was just a few feet too high in their description.

If that makes any sense.

Michele said...

Oh Jessica, it looks so beautiful there! I'm glad you're getting to enjoy some of the beautiful places our country has to offer:) And, of course you rocked that bike!!!